Spies are the infantry of any cold war, and The Lacuna Expanse is no different. You can Train spies at the Intelligence Ministry. You can increase their offensive potential by building an Espionage Ministry, and you can increase their defensive potential by building a Security Ministry.
Spies that are Killed in Action get removed automatically; just not immediately.
Spies can run 150 offensive or 150 defensive missions before they retire.
Spy Level is int(Offense + Defense + the four skill XP)/200.
There are many tasks you can set for your spies, and some they set for themselves. Isolationist spies are not allowed to run any offensive assignments.
The assignments you can give to your spies are:
- Idle - Waiting for orders.
Counter Espionage** - Defend the planet your spy is on against all attackers.
Security Sweep** - An active defense mission, that attempts to round up enemy agents on your planet. Security Sweep will first go after Infiltrating and spies that have just run missions. If all enemy spies are Idle, your agent will try to capture any spies that have been idle for over a week, if none qualify, then the spy will run a report of spy activity on your planet.
- Gather Resource Intelligence - Reports back with whatever information is found about resource production, storage, trades, etc.
- Gather Empire Intelligence - Reports back with whatever information is found about colonies, affiliations, stats, etc.
- Gather Operative Intelligence - Reports back with whatever information is found about spies, assignments, prisoners, etc.
Hack Network 19 - Alter the planet's happiness by sending out false reports about the planet's government. And add cool messages to Network 19 while you're at it.
Sabotage Probes - Destroy, take control of, and send false data from probes.
Rescue comrades - Attempt to free prisoners from this planet. This mission is also commonly used to help get your spies captured on an allied planet so that player can use the spies in the genelab.
Sabotage Resources - Destroy stored resources, mining platforms, ships, glyphs, and plans on this planet.
Appropriate Resources - Steal ships carrying resources from this planet. This mission requires a transport ship is available to steal. The ship and the resources will become yours. You can also steal glyphs this way. This mission is still capable of stealing things if transport ships are not available for example you can steal control of a probe from the Observatory.
- Assassinate Operatives - Kill defensive spies on the planet. This mission requires that at least one spy is not on debrief.
Sabotage Infrastructure - Kill the efficiency of buildings.
Incite Mutiny - Try to get defensive spies to join your cause.
Abduct Operatives - Capture a spy on a remote planet and bring him back to your planet. This mission requires that at least one spy is not on debrief and a transport ship is available to steal. Highly useful for experiments with the Genetics Lab, but is also useful for making money via the prisoner trade.
Incite Rebellion - Kill the happiness of the planet through rebellion. This mission has two successful results. Created a Disturbance, which will cause the target colony to lose a small amount of happiness, or the more rare Started a Rebellion which will cost the colony 10% of it's happiness. (Always a cost)
Appropriate Technology* - Steal buildings and plans from a planet. Stolen plans will instantly arrive on the planet that controls the spy. If a building was stolen the building will lose 1 level and you will get a plan at a random level from one to the spy's level (or if that exceeds the building level, then a plan at the building level). A level 1 building cannot be stolen. When there are no buildings left on a planet a mission report of "No building found" will be returned.
Incite Insurrection* - Steal an entire planet from another player. You must make the planet unhappy to steal it.
* You cannot run this mission against allies, on capitols, or against players who are more than 100 ranks below you in the empire stats. The mission will not be an option if this is the case.
** This assignment may only be run on your own or allied planets.
Isolationist empires can only run defensive missions.
Spies from Colonies in the neutral zone can only run defensive missions.
The assignments that you cannot change are:
- Training - Happens when you first train a spy.
- Travelling - This spy is traveling to another planet.
- Captured - This spy is in prison. You cannot burn a spy while he is in prison. Captured spies also may not be burned.
- Debriefing - This spy defended against an attack.
- Killed in Action - This spy has died and will be taken off the list soon.
- Unconsious - This spy has been knocked out and will wake up in an Idle state. While unconsious, the spy is immune to any other action.
- Prisoner Transport - This captured spy is being transferred from one security ministry to another. All other restrictions to captured spies apply.
Note: Spies sent to another colony in your empire remain under the control of the original colony that sent them. Empires in the Neutral Zone
need to be careful.
can still attack planets in the Neutral zone
, and if you land spies from a colony in the NZ, you will be attacked.